Friday, March 2, 2012

Vonnegut-esque

I passed this the other day (didn't have a camera then.  Went back today).  I didn't know the quote or who Chuck D was, but in this age of information, it was not hard to find the quote (lyrics to Rebel Without a Pause) or the guy (part of the rap group Public Enemy).  I liked the addition of the hand and pawn piece to what otherwise would have just been some standard quote that works well as graffiti.  The graffiti itself was just some white paint for the letters and tan paper for the hands on a red brick wall behind some green plants.  I edited my shot to better reflect the mood. ...oh, and disregard the artist's inability to accurately quote the song (as interesting as one big chest game would be, I'm sure he meant chess)...


The thing about it that most made me want to get the shot was that it made me think of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.  It is very similar to a "calypso" found in his novel Cats Cradle.  Which is a great book, by the way.

          Bokonon's 53rd Calypso
Oh, a sleeping drunkard
Up in Central Park,  
And a lion-hunter  
In the jungle dark,  
And a Chinese dentist,  
And a British queen -  
All fit together  
In the same machine.  
Nice, nice, very nice;  
Nice, nice, very nice;  
Nice, nice, very nice -  
So many different people 
In the same device.

2 comments:

  1. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kE9HDwnzbWY#

    Hi there I'm just wondering why you assumed the artist responsible for this price was male?
    It might surprise you to know that intact it was actually done by a female...... I'll admire the spelling mistake was only noticed as I finished and didn't have time to change but these things happen and i have learnt to double check in future.

    Cheers for the hype,
    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Thanks so much for the video of you creating this beautiful piece of art! It's surprising to hear back from an anonymous graffiti artist, but also quite cool!

    I normally shy away from making the he/she statements when I don't know the person I'm discussing, but apparently I failed this time. Don't worry, by no means do I think only a guy is capable of being a graffiti artist!

    I can only imagine the pressure that one undergoes while creating something like that...which must frequently lead to spelling mistakes and errors. Even still, yours is a beautiful and thought-provoking piece. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete