Sunday, November 20, 2011

Mostly Floral and Botanical Photography

The 13th of November was Remembrance Day, also known as Armistice Day or Poppy Day.  It provided me with a chance to take a more photojournalist approach to my daily photography.  Here are two photos, one from a ceremony that was held outside of Queen's University Belfast and one from the ceremony outside of City Hall...presented in that order...




I was walking down a street on the 14th when I noticed something strange about the building I was passing.  The brick cut-outs for the doorways (which there were many of) were all the same, but the doors and windows in each cut-out entrance were all very different.  The part that caught me as strange was that these doors were all about five feet away from each other...on the same building...



I went for a very early walk through the nearby Botanic Gardens on the 15th.  I noticed that the Palm House's glass windows were pretty foggy from the early morning mist.  I decided to try to use this to my advantage by using the foggy windows as a filter of sorts.  It worked, blurring portions of the image as well as allowing significant light leak in certain parts of it...



I guess I had flowers on the mind because the next day, the 16th, I was back at the gardens looking to do some macro-esque floral shots.  I am not the biggest fan of flower photography, but I am a fan of trying my hand with any photographic subject.  Something I do enjoy with floral shots is the usage of black and white film (or b&w digital processing).  It seems like a field that (at least nowadays) isn't as saturated.  Now I know that some of these shots are not technically "floral" shots...but some are, and that's what I went out intending to shoot, so that's good enough reasoning to keep calling it that, yes?...






  
I really like the second photograph.  Anyone know what kind of flowers those are?

No comments:

Post a Comment