Monday, January 30, 2012

Pathways...Through The Woods, Through The Brain, Around Dams, And Under Arches

It's been a rainy past few days.  My picture for the 27th makes that apparent.  It's nothing more than what a rainy wet day looks like on one of Belfast's main roads...


Redburn Country Park is a great place to go for a good hike.  You can pretty much hike for the better part of a day without seeing the same thing twice.  That's what we did on the 28th...here are some naturish photos without being straight up trees or wildlife...

...a path that looks like it would take you all the way to Samson and Goliath (Belfast's big yellow ship-building cranes)

...a slightly different perspective than what you normally get from a  waterfall photo (I was hanging off the waterfall ledge)

...and an abstract shot.  The way the branches of a tree were reflecting in a stream reminded me of neurons firing in the brain.  I had to create a negative of the image to get my desired effect.

Yesterday my wife and I met up with one of her classmates and her family for a very nice afternoon.  They live much further south than we do, quite close to the border actually, and thus were able to show us a side of Northern Ireland that we don't get near where we live.  Their house is in the middle of nowhere...surrounded on all sides by mountains and the greenest of pastures.  We were taken to mountainous parks, harbor towns, the Irish Sea, and a massive dam... 

 ...that sink hole acts as a water level regulator.  That sky kept us from getting to hike that mountain in the background (it poured the whole day).

Today I grabbed my homemade Tilt-Shift lens, something I haven't used in a while, and headed out.  The Botanic Gardens, normally my first destination, provided the perfect structure for specifically choosing the plane on which my now extra-controllable focus fell...

...the tilt-shift lens seems to make the image's depth both expand and contract at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment