Thursday, June 23, 2011

Railroad Tie

The Reading & Columbia Railroad used to run through Ephrata, PA (the town I currently reside in).  This is apparent by the railway station in the middle of the town.  But the station just sits alone, there are no tracks connected to it, nor any means for an engine to idle up next to it.
At one point in time, though, it being used as an actual station (not the Visitor's Center that it currently is being used for) was a daily occurrence.  I found proof of the authenticity of that station today.  I was biking behind some rather old buildings when I stumbled upon something half covered by stones.  A railroad tie was just barely breaking the surface, and when I looked around, I saw many more, all lined up as they would have been back when tracks connected them.  The further away the other ties were from the one I saw, the deeper it was buried...all the way until they disappeared under the surface.  Here is the one I saw first, the one that still is distinguishable as a railroad tie.



Unearthed
When I first saw it, it made me think of driftwood...an aged piece of wood that has been ground down by stone, hidden from the common man.  Now I'm going to have to go back and get some wide angle shots of what is remaining of the rest of the ties, as well as to try to find some rail spikes.    

No comments:

Post a Comment